One of the first things most people thing of when it comes to the common cold or flu is vitamin C. It is with good very reason. This vitamin has a long list of amazing benefits and loading up on it is a good idea when it comes to overall health, not just the common cold. One can fight many illnesses with this nutrient, but a deficiency can actually cause many illness as well.
The main issue is that most people use the wrong source of vitamin C. During cold season moms rush to the store and load up on Emergen-C or vitamin C pills. One would think that these are good supplements, but I am here to tell you they aren’t! You are being cheated friends. There is a big difference between the ascorbic acid (what you will find in vitamin C and Emergen-C) and whole food vitamin C.
ASCORBIC ACID VS WHOLE FOOD VITAMIN C
The main point to note here is that ascorbic acid is only part of the vitamin C nutrient, not the whole nutrient. It doe not contain the same micronutrients, phytochemicals, and enzymes that a natural form of vitamin C has. Furthermore, ascorbic acid is actually MAN MADE! The majority of this synthetic vitamin C is originally derived from GMO corn. It is also processed with chemicals like acetone (um, yes as in nail polish remover). Scary huh?
Studies have shown that high daily amounts of ascorbic acid may have further health implications. It has been linked to an increase in arterial plaque build up and can also lead to gallstones. Another study even found that synthetic vitamin C may contribute to the formation of genotoxins that can lead to cancer”. Not to mention the diarrhea one can get from ingesting high doses of synthetic vitamin C. Diarrhea is no fun for anyone, especially when you are already fighting a cold or the flu!
So, the bottom line is when it comes to fighting the flu or common cold, do not automatically reach for the Emergen-C. These supplements are not immune boosting, nor will they ward off whatever you are fighting properly.
Consequently, moms should not only be pushing vitamin C when their kids are already ill. Vitamin C is a nutrient that should be taken regularly and has a dual role. First it acts as an powerful antioxidant AND it is an ESSENTIAL NUTRIENT.
Vitamin C Benefits
- Supports collagen production (key for bones, blood vessels, tendons, ligaments and skin)
- Promotes heart and vascular health
- Boosts immune system function
- Helps protect against damaging free radicals
- Supports a healthy metabolism and hormone production
- Helps maintain healthy bones and teeth*
- Aids in healthy eye support
- Helps your body absorb iron
- Supports brain health
Signs of a Vitamin C Deficiency
Do you suffer from any of the following?
- Dry skin
- Bruise easily
- Muscle and joint pains
- Tiredness and weakness
- Dry or splitting hair
- Bleeding and swollen gums
- Slow wound healing
- Tooth loss
- Frequent infections
- Changes in bone health
Best Sources of WHOLE FOOD Vitamin C
- Eat REAL foods high in vitamin C- red bell peppers (my #1 go to source of vitamin C), parsley, kale, kiwi, berries, citrus fruits, melons, spinach, tomatoes, cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli and brussels sprouts
- Best Supplements-
Pure Radiance (this is what our family mainly uses)
And do not forget about your skin ladies!!! The benefits of vitamin C do not stop with your cold. Did you know this nutrient is vital when it comes to your skin as well?
- Stimulates Collagen & Elastin Synthesis- vitamin C is key in “plumping” up your skin.
- Reduces hyper pigmentation- vitamin C speeds up the skins exfoliation rate to help reduce dark spots, aging spots, and uneven skin tone.
- Brightens skin tone- vitamin C inhibits the action of tyrosinase (an enzyme responsible for melanin formation) which prevents the overproduction of that pigment
- Protects against sun damage- vitamin C acts as an antioxidant for the skin and neutralizes free radicals and environmental pollutants from UV exposure
- Increases resilience and healing- vitamin C is anti-inflammatory and can speed up wound healing.
Best Sources of Vitamin C For The Skin
- Beautycounter No1. Brightening Oil
- Beautcounter Countermatch Intense Moisture Serum (for dry or normal skin)
- Beautycounter Rejuvenating Radiance Serum (for mature skin)
There you have it. Everything you wanted to know about vitamin C… one of the most powerful nutrients on the planet! It is essential to your health (and your skin). Be sure to get in at least 5 servings of vitamin C a day!!!
Are you interested in learning more about safer beauty? Interested in a consult for a better skin care regimen? Or maybe you just want some tips of cleaner make up? I’m here to help! Sign up for my #betterbeauty newsletter below and I will be in touch within 24 hours!