Wanna know why I love pancakes, waffles, and French Toast so much (aside from the fact that they are freaking yummy of course)?
They are SO versatile! Really, you can change the flavors, combinations, AND macros/nutritional profile up on them easily. With a few small adjustments to the base recipe, you can easily fit a healthy and delicious stack in as a meal. Doing a little higher protein in your diet? No problem, add more protein powder to your topping OR add protein powder right to the pancakes (just add more liquid to the batter). Need a little bit lower carb? Reduce the amount of oat flour slightly and use coconut flour instead. Need higher fat? Easy, cook pancakes in coconut oil or add some nuts as part of your topping. Regardless of where my macros are at, I know I can ALWAYS fit pancakes in!
Normally, I only crave coffee in the morning with my breakfast but last week my tummy was hollering at me for a little shot of caffeine in the afternoon. I was about to hit the gym, so instead of having a pre workout coffee, I decided to alter my base pancake recipe and have a cappuccino hot cake stack… result? Yeah, take a look.
Yup, they were perfect and hit the spot. These help push me through a brutal leg day thats for sure! Kept my little pump just a little bit longer thanks to this stack!
Mocha Latte Pancakes
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (blended to oat flour)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons coffee concentrate or espresso ((I use Trader Joe's concentrate))
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 40 drops chocolate Stevia or sweetener of choice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 scoop vanilla protein powder (I use Trutein) (** TOPPING **)
- 1 tablespoon coffee concentrate or espresso (** TOPPING **)
- 2-3 tablespoons water (** TOPPING **)
- 1 tablespoon Walden Farms Chocolate Sauce (** TOPPING **)
- 1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips (** OPTIONAL TOPPING **)
- 1 tablespoon whipped cream (** OPTIONAL TOPPING **)
|Mix all ingredients in a medium sized bowl until well combined.|
|Heat pan and coat with non stick spray.|
|Pour batter into pan and cook each side of pancake for 1-2 minutes on each side.|
|Prepare topping by mixing protein powder and water until you get the consistency you like (thin, thick, etc.) or top pancakes with Walden Farms chocolate syrup. Finish with a dollop of whipped cream and chocolate chips.|
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (for batch without whipped cream or chocolate chips): calories- 313, carbs- 39 g, protein- 25 g, fat-7 g
NatalieDecember 11, 2014 at 4:31 pm
What do you mean by rolled oats (blended to oat flour)?
corinaDecember 11, 2014 at 4:54 pm
Either oat flour or you can make your own by putting oats in a blender 🙂